Saturday, March 14, 2009

A Sick Week- A Boring Post

We have had a very sick week in the Brewer household... as soon as we got Luke's ear infection figured out, I came down with a stomach virus, so Brent had 100% baby duty-- we now know why God designs the family with a Mother and a Father-- way too much to do when you go from 4 helping hands to 2.

So to close out our sick week, I thought I would write about how smart Luke is becoming on taking his meds... when he sees the syringe coming at him, he throws a royal fit, but he doesn't know his Momma is WAY more stubborn than he is (and my Dad swears this is a good quality for me :)

When we first started giving Luke medicine, I would shoot it in the side of his cheek and blow in his face to make him swallow... THEN he got wise to that and figured out how to hold it on his tongue and spit it out... we were going through way to much medicine with this method. So, THEN I changed it up... I went right past his tongue to the back of his throat (this being easy because he was screaming and the syringe was pretty easy to insert) and shot it down (this one scares me because of choking), but it worked... UNTIL he wised up and started crying with his mouth shut! I am not even kidding you- hysterical. So, we needed a new method fast! When we went to the ER, the nurse changed up sides, left- squirt, right-squirt, etc. This worked for about a day confusing him on which side the pink stuff was coming from, but THEN Luke started the tongue thing again. SO, again we change it up... NOW, I keep the syringe IN his mouth so he cannot get his tongue around the meds and has to swallow... it is working well for us at the moment! I am out of ideas, so hope this one continues to work!

2 comments:

Ginny said...

That is what I do for Mr. HD. He is very good now about taking his medicine. Oh, and we are on the pink stuff too!!! :-)

Kalli said...

I have no idea if this would help or not, but I have this thing that looks like a bottle and has a nipple on it but there is a syringe at the end of it. I haven't tried it yet, but the baby would suck on it just like a bottle while you control how fast the medicine goes into the nipple. Just an idea since he's so smart!! You can get them at Walgreens, but again I haven't tried it. I can show it to you if you are interested when you all come over.